Poisons

Poisons and toxins that can be dangerous for your Jack Russell are all over: house, garden, garage, everywhere. In your house may be such plants as dieffen-bachia, philodendron, asparagus fern, ivy, and poinsettia. Also dangerous are all the pesticides, cleaning supplies, and medicines that must be closely guarded. In the garden are acorns, lily of the valley, wisteria, daffodils, morning glory, holly, rhubarb, and tomato vine, among others.

t > ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has a staff of licensed veterinarians and board-certified toxicologists available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The number to call is (888) 426-4435. You will be charged a consultation fee of $50 per case, charged to most major credit cards. There is no charge for follow-up calls in critical cases. At your request, they will also contact your veterinarian. Specific treatment and information can be provided via fax. Put the number in large, legible print with your other emergency telephone numbers. Be prepared to give your name, address, and phone number; what your dog has gotten into (the amount and how long ago); your dog's breed, age, sex, and weight; and what signs and symptoms the dog is showing. You can log onto www.aspca.org and click on "Animal Poison Control Center" for more information, including a list of toxic and nontoxic plants.

And in the garage are any number of dangerous toxins, including the very common, sweet-tasting antifreeze (also a danger to children). Even a small amount carelessly left on the garage floor may kill.

And then there is chocolate. Some dogs love chocolate. But a lethal dose consists of only one ounce of milk chocolate or one-third ounce of dark chocolate per pound of dog.

Symptoms of poisoning can range from obvious residue around your dog's mouth, to rashes on the skin or around the mouth, to vomiting and diarrhea, to hallucinations and convulsions, among others.

If you suspect that your dog has been poisoned, immediate action is necessary. First, try to identify the poison, then call your veterinarian. If chemicals are involved, read the label and have it handy when you talk to your vet, or call ASPCA Animal Poison Control (see the box above) for information on the chemical if the label is not informative.

If your vet is not available, ASPCA Animal Poison Control also can instruct you on the proper procedures to follow. Depending on the substance ingested, the length of time it has been in your dog's system, and the dog's condition, you may be

Dangerous Jack Russell
These dogs are brave sometimes to the point of recklessness. Its up to you to protect your dog from the dangers in her environment.

instructed either to induce vomiting with ipecac syrup or hydrogen peroxide, or to give activated charcoal to delay or prevent absorption. Those items are important to have on hand, as well as other aids such as milk of magnesia and mineral oil.

Heat Stroke

Heat stroke, also known as hyperthermia, occurs when the dog's internal temperature is higher than 104 degrees. (A dog's normal temperature is between 100 and 102 degrees.) Dogs cannot tolerate heat as well as humans can. They must pant to cool their bodies and the only place they are able to sweat is through their foot pads. Heavy

CAUTION

For the safety of your JRT, temperature extremes, hot or cold, are to be avoided. Be sure the dog has shade and other appropriate shelter when she is outdoors, as well as a good supply of fresh, cool water always available. In winter, guard against the dog getting frostbitten.

exertion, especially in hot weather, can therefore be problematic.

Since Jack Russells often do not know when to stop and rest to cool off, they may overdo it and show signs of hyperthermia. Symptoms include extreme weakness or panting, rapid breathing, vomiting, and fainting. The dog may also have an elevated heart rate.

In mild cases, moving the dog to an air-conditioned room may solve the problem. Apply cool compresses to the abdomen and groin and offer sips of cool water. For more serious cases, cool the dog gradually in water. Do not try to bring down the temperature too rapidly. In all cases, call your veterinarian immediately. Serious hyperthermia can lead to coma and death.

Never, ever leave your dog in the car in warm weather—not even for a few minutes, even if the windows are open. It is far better to leave the dog at home, no matter how much she loves to travel with you, if there is even a chance that you will have to leave her alone in the vehicle. Just a short stop at the store may put you at the end of a very long line at the checkout, and temperatures in parked cars can reach life-threatening levels very, very quickly.

Dog Potty Training

Dog Potty Training

This is for people who want to potty train their dog NOW. Discover The Ability To Finally Potty Train Your Dog In No Time! I'm going to get right down to it... If you've found this page, either you or someone you know has a puppy that needs to be potty trained. Maybe you've tried a ton of various methods you've read about but have had no success. How can some people potty train their puppy with hardly any effort?

Get My Free Ebook


Responses

  • Teigan
    How long do jack russell terriers live?
    6 years ago
  • ANTONINO
    How to train a jack russel terrier dog?
    6 years ago
  • blanco
    Do jacl russell terrier's have spots?
    6 years ago
  • jukka
    How much peroxide for a jack russell?
    6 years ago
  • Mewael
    Are pecans poisonous for jack russell terrier?
    3 years ago
  • elisa
    Is rhubarb poisonous for Jack russels?
    2 years ago

Post a comment